Commercial Historic District
WEST MEMPHIS COMMERCIAL HISTORIC DISTRICT,
The West Memphis Commercial Historic District is comprised of three blocks of East Broadway Avenue/U. S. Highway 70, the city’s major thoroughfare. The intense development and growth of West Memphis in the period from 1930 to 1958 is reflected in the twenty-nine buildings in the district. Eighty-six percent of the buildings in the West Memphis Commercial Historic District were constructed between 1930 and 1950. Subtle Art Deco style influence seen in cast-concrete trim detail and corner entrances is present on the buildings in the district. The district is being nominated to the National Register of Historic Places, with local significance, under Criterion A for its associations with the commercial development of West Memphis and Criterion C for its representation of American commercial building construction in the period 1930 to 1958.